Inspired by a traditional Romesco sauce, I subbed some ingredients and made it nut free! Perfect for pasta or to throw over some tofu & other delicious meals!
Thoughts on my blog becoming a pasta based website? I totally am! Just kidding, not really.
I’ve always heard about Romesco sauces but I never looked into what makes a Romesco sauce a Romesco sauce. A traditional Romesco has roasted red peppers, tomatoes, sherry vinegar, almonds etc.
I didn’t go the traditional route on this recipe. I omitted the tomatoes and subbed almonds for pumpkin seeds. I also don’t have sherry vinegar so I used apple cider vinegar. You could also use red wine vinegar if you don’t have either of those in your pantry.
I am also pretty sure Romesco was created as a fish topping but since we are Vegan over here we will put it on some pasta, tofu mock meats, etc.
Since almonds are traditionally in this recipe (and I cannot have them due to my allergies) I subbed them with pumpkin seeds! Now that it’s almost Fall l I wanted to add a little flare in there. I also toasted them before adding them to the sauce and it makes a world of a difference. I highly recommend you do not skip that step.
I am so in love with this recipe. I think the flavors in this sauce are just so spot on, even though it’s made with less than 10 ingredients. You just pop everything in and blend. It’s also super creamy and decadent.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! If you make any of my recipes, don’t forget to tag me in the photo on Instagram @plantbasedjane.
- 2 cups pasta, uncooked
- For the sauce
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 roasted red peppers from a jar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return pasta to the pot.
- On a medium-low heat, toast your pumpkin seeds on a sauté pan for 2-3 minutes or until the seeds have lightly browned.
- Using a blender or a food processor, add in your pumpkin seeds and remaining sauce ingredients. Blend well.
- Add to drained pasta and mix so all the pasta is coated evenly with your sauce.